Violence is the physical manifestation of anger and aggression and must be curbed. Like so many qualities, violence involves a real interaction between genetics and environment. We may not be able to alter the DNA we are born with, but we can strongly influence how these genes are expressed.
Tips on how to handle a violent child:
* Ensure that your child is not viewing unsuitable violent materials.
* Look at your family situation and ensure there is no violence being witnessed by your child.
* Hold family meetings to get the message across that violence against other or destruction of property will never be tolerated.
* Teach your child alternative methods of expressing himself; for example, go for a run, sing out loud etc.
* Help your child develop empathy towards others.
* Build your child’s self-esteem. Help your child find something they are good at and offer real praise for those achievements.
* Practise what you preach.
* Talk about the way your child is feeling and give him the words to express himself, then he will be less likely to lash out.
* Teach your child ways to calm down.