Children may steal once or twice. Don’t overreact and label your child a thief, something that could stay with him for a long time. But if you force your child or he admits on his own accord, do make sure that you don’t overwhelm him with anger and punishments.
* Ensure that your child has the basic level of things that his friends have.
* Talk about values and ethics.
* If your child steals, don’t be too harsh. Tell him you know he has taken something and that you would like it returned or replaced.
* Tell your child that you are watching his behaviour, that he has lost some trust, and that he needs to re-earn it.
* Make it clear that you will never cover for him. He is accountable for his own actions.